Best AI games 2024: Released and upcoming
AI has long been a key part of video games. It’s helped generate expansive in-game environments, brought to life beloved companion characters, and powered complex enemies. The last few years have seen significant advancements in AI in games. That’s set to significantly change how the tech is used within video games. For the first time, AI is now capable of generating entire AI video games, powering NPCs you can talk to voice-to-voice, and more. The future of AI gaming is set for a paradigm shift.
One type of AI-generated video game can be made by using ChatGPT to recreate classic games such as Pong, Tetris, and Snake. Another type of AI game is an AI text adventure where the world and narrative are described entirely through text and the player interacts by typing simple commands.
After that, there are more sophisticated examples where AI is used for just one part of the game. Microsoft Flight Simulator, which used generative AI to build its immense recreation of Earth falls into that category. These more advanced examples of AI in games include Origins, our own short playable interactive mystery game powered by AI NPCs are where – which many YouTube and Twitch favorites have played and enjoyed.
Gamers enjoy playing AI games because the generative technology behind them allows for more dynamic and freeform experiences. AI-powered NPCs, for example, can exhibit much more human-like behavior than their coded counterparts, leading to increased immersion. Gamers also (sometimes) enjoy trolling AI NPCs to try to break them.
To celebrate the best AI games, we’ve recently launched our Early Access to AI Games program, a growing library of games, demos, and mods that integrate dynamic AI NPCs you can talk to (be sure to sign up!). We also wanted to walk you through some of the best AI in games today, give you a taste of what to expect for the future of AI gaming, and leave you with a list of fun AI games to look forward to.
What is an AI game?
An AI game is a game that’s either created entirely or driven significantly by advanced AI systems like generative AI or other advanced AI systems. AI video games can be broken down into one of four distinct types: AI text games/AI text adventure games/AI story games, AI generated games, games with advanced AI technology, and generative AI games. Together, they give you a glimpse into the future of AI in video games.
🎮 AI text games/AI text adventure games/AI story games
Using similar tech to that which powers ChatGPT, AI text games, also known as AI text adventure games or AI story games, are a throwback to classic text-based games such as Zork or The Hobbit. But whereas these old-school adventures were limited in scope, AI text adventure games offer almost limitless possibilities. For example, in AI Dungeon, you can jump between worlds, time periods, and dimensions in just a few sentences. This is an example of low-fi but fun AI games.
🎮AI generated games
AI generated games are those which have been created almost entirely or entirely by AI models. Given the technology behind these games is relatively new, there are only a few examples of AI video games generated entirely by AI available to play. One good example is The Girl Does Not Exist, a relatively simple puzzle game where every asset was generated by an AI model. With advances in AI models, expect to see more AI generated games in the future.
🎮AI games with advanced AI technology
Several games with AI on the market today implement highly sophisticated forms of AI to elevate the player experience. Games with the best AI often elevate the gaming experience in cool ways. For example, The Last of Us: Part II uses advanced AI to power its enemies, providing them with an ‘awareness state.’ This means that if an enemy sees one of their comrades killed without actually seeing the culprit, that particular enemy will be on alert and more vigilant as they plot to take their revenge. Expect the future of AI gaming will include much smarter NPCs since NPCs have always been one core use case for AI in games.
🎮Generative AI games
Generative AI games include games that implement AI NPCs, AI assets, procedural generation, or any other features that are primarily generated using some form of generative AI. While most types of generative AI are relatively new to the gaming industry, procedural generation is the AI gaming technology that's been around the longest. It’s even been used in several high-profile titles, including No Man’s Sky, Persona, Hades, and Diablo. An example of a generative AI game with AI NPCs is Cygnus Enterprises whose companion character PEA is powered by generative AI. Expect more games with AI NPCs in the near future!
Best AI video games already released
Rapid developments in AI means new games with AI are coming to the market every day. Here are just some of the best examples of AI in video games out there today.
🎮AI text games/AI text adventure games/AI story games
These games use generative AI to power text-based adventures and are great free AI games online. Because they're text only and don't require long development cycles, AI text adventure games have had a head start on other gaming genres at implementing AI in video games so you'll find them overrepresented among AI games online.
- AI Dungeon: A fantasy-themed text adventure RPG. AI Dungeon is thought by many to be the best AI text adventure game.
- Private Detective: A mystery-themed AI text adventure RPG. Private Detective gives you the quintessential experience of AI story games -- the opportunity to role play a fun character.
- Kingpin Adventure: A Breaking Bad-themed AI text game. In this one, you play a character in the TV show. The game play for this game with AI is unpredictable and fun.
- D&D Game Master: A fantasy-themed AI text game RPG. Can't make it to your D&D session this week? No problem. Get your dose of role playing with this AI text game.
- The Portopia Serial Murder Case: This AI text adventure is a generative update to Square Enix’s iconic 1983 game by the same name. It's a fun AI game with a side of nostalgia.
🎮AI generated games
These AI generated video games are all playable examples of independent AI game design. AI generated games are necessarily simple because generative AI hasn't yet perfected many core aspects of game design -- but it's fun to see what the tech can do. Expect more games AI generated in the future but don't expect them to overtake human designed games! Human creativity is at the core of game design -- AI in games augments, it doesn't replace.
- Ludo: Ludo offers several AI-generated game demos for the curious to play. While Ludo is a platform for AI assisted game ideation and design, this AI game generator shows off what it can do alone and gives you some fun online AI games to play.
- Google’s Arts and Culture Lab: Google is hard at work on the future of AI generated games. It's Arts and Culture lab offers several experimental AI video games for you to try out.
🎮AI games with advanced AI technology
These are some AAA games with the best AI integrations. They all feature advanced forms of AI that produced exciting advancements and innovations -- but none of them use generative AI. Game AI of all kinds is expected to advance quickly over the next few years and different studios will use different kinds of AI in video games.
- Red Dead Redemption 2: Renowned for it's expansive lifelike worlds, much of that is owed to the dynamic behavior of its AI-powered NPCs. It's widely thought to be one of the games with the best AI behavior systems.
- Grand Theft Auto V: Realistic AI-powered NPCs are the stars of this other Rockstar title. They’ll look as they cross the street, remark on how the player is dressed, and more. If you're looking for a glimpse of the future of AI in video games, paying attention to what Rockstar does is a good bet. They offer a showcase of the best AI in games.
- Alien Isolation: The game’s Xenomorph character is powered by AI and can learn from past mistakes, behaving differently each time the player encounters it. This shows the potential for AI in video games and hints at the possibilities of how AI NPCs can transform gaming.
- FIFA: This game deploys a form of AI called ‘football knowledge,’ which ensures the physics of the football gameplay are scientifically accurate. Better physics are another key function for AI in video games.
- Bioshock: Infinite: An advanced AI powers Booker Dewitt’s companion, Elizabeth, who exhibits humanlike behavior such as reacting to the world around her and independently supporting the player.
🎮Generative AI games
The following fun AI games all feature NPCs powered by Inworld AI’s generative AI Character Engine. Generative AI games are the next evolution in gaming with games with AI NPCs expected to greatly uplevel the gaming experience and herald a new era for AI video games. Who wouldn't want to ask their favorite NPCs anything? But, while that's the most obvious use of the tech, expect game devs to use the tech to implement new game mechanics like voice commands, relationship-based progression, and player-centric narrative arcs. Every playthrough has the potential to be radically different with generative AI games. These are some of the best AI games online right now!
- Cygnus Enterprises: A cross-genre game that combines Action RPG Shooter with base management gameplay elements recently updated its game to power their companion character, PEA, using Inworld’s Character Engine. It's one of the best AI games online today.
- Origins: Origins is a playable short generative AI game created by Oscar-winner John Gaeta (The Matrix) where players must investigate an explosion in the fictional city of Metropolis by questioning completely unscripted NPCs.
- Wol: Want to try an augmented reality generative AI game? Transform your space into a redwood forest with an AI-enabled owl who’s ready to teach you about the forest and its ecosystem.
- Skyrim AI mod: Popular modder Bloc released a generative AI game mod that transforms Skyrim NPCs. You can interact and speak to them voice-to-voice. This showcases the future of AI video games perfectly.
- AI Wonderland: This Roblox generative AI game allows you to talk to characters while unlocking the mystery of the Jabberwock. Add this to your list of free AI games online to play.
Upcoming games with AI
Since ChatGPT and Stable Diffusion went viral in 2022, a number of game studios have announced plans to incorporate generative AI into their in-production titles. Expect more studios to announce their AI plans in the future. In the meantime, you can look forward to these new AI games:
- Project M: NCSoft, the creator of Aion and Guild Wars, unveiled its use of AI-powered Digital Humans in a trailer for the upcoming project. It's an exciting preview into the near future of AI video games.
- Justice Online: In February, NetEase announced they would be adding generative AI to their upcoming MMO title.
- Get Slapped!: This action-comedy fighting game won’t just have mind-bending arenas and eccentric foes, it will also have NPCs that you can talk to.
- Hidden Door: Based on classic tabletop games, Hidden Door is set to launch an Alice in Wonderland theme social roleplaying game led by an AI narrator and powered by generative AI.
- Afar Rush: This mobile idle racing game lets you compete against players from all around the world. In AFAR Rush, you get to choose gear to match each of the action-packed courses.
The Future of AI gaming
With advancements in artificial intelligence showing no signs of slowing down, expect to see more game developers experimenting with AI and more new AI games that push the bounds of what’s possible.
Want to be the first to know about (and play!) new games with AI? Join Play Pass and you’ll get access to cutting-edge new AI games first!